Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Liquid Wall

I walk alone
pacing the length
of a wall that has appeared.

Where did it come from?

Is it all in my mind?

It stands between me
and the goal I would achieve

Perhaps the wall can be reasoned with
“Why have you come to block my path?”

The wall does not respond.

It is only a wall.
It cannot be reasoned with.

I scream at the wall
demanding it step aside.
Raising my fists
I step forward
to pound my way through the wall.

Surprised by its lack of resistance,
I stop in confusion.
The wall is made of liquid.
A liquid wall.
Who would put such a thing in my path?

I step forward and into the wall
intending to continue to the other side.
The other side
where it is at.
The thing I want most.

But what was it I wanted?
I can’t quite remember.

What was it?

I know there must be something
but it can’t have been that wonderful.
Not as wonderful as being in the wall.
The liquid wall.
This wonderful liquid feeling.
Why was I trying to fight it?
Such a nice wall.
I think I’ll just lie down for a minute.
I feel warm
and the wall is so soft.

Just let me
sit here
a minute
more
I’ll get whatever
it is
I was looking for
tomorrow.

© Michele Markley 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment