Friday, March 19, 2010

I Can Be Hurt

I was always tender hearted
more so than you would know.

Some things don’t change
but now I have built a wall
surrounding me
locking the door
keeping all from coming near
to protect from the hurt
that is inevitable.

So rarely do I open the door
letting someone in
how easily I forget.

I didn’t tell you the weapon
knowing you would try with anger
to drive me away.

Anger wasn’t the weapon you chose
I can be hurt
so quickly,
so easily.

Did you scale the wall that I built?
Did I leave the door open for you?

Anger I am quick to forgive
but hurt,
hurt leaves behind a wound
to remind me of the words
to remind me of the feelings.

I realize now, after so many wasted years,
I cannot shut myself off from the world
in hopes that I won't feel the hurt
for there is no joy without pain.

© Michele Markley 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment