This is a room I visit often
slipping off my shoes before entering.
I want no restrictions here
only comfort.
I have constructed this place
and no one else can enter
without my invitation
I walk through the gateless gate
and step onto the endless path.
My path is sand
warm and soft
beneath my feet
the air is cool,
refreshing
as it washes over me.
I walk slowly to the hill
sand squishing between my toes
and sit on the top
looking across the endless sand dunes.
The sands glow in the light of the sparkling stars
reflecting the light
like warm rolling fields of snow
they shimmer.
I am alone here,
alone with my thoughts.
Closing my eyes
I focus on my breathing
and clear my head.
No one can reach me here
no one can find me.
Digging my hands deep into the sand
I lift it high and let it fall
through my fingers
reaching deep
I grasp the windblown grains
feeling their texture change in my hands.
Something has changed
the smell of green pulls me to the surface.
I open my eyes and smile
Knowing without turning my head.
“You’ve changed my desert into a meadow.”
“The sand was a pain in the ass.”
I smile.
“What is this place?”
I turn to watch your expression,
as you take in our surroundings.
“This is where I meditate.”
“So it can be anything you want it to be?”
“Yes and apparently not just me.”
I close my eyes
imagining the rolling hills of green
and open them slowly.
“Watch”
You look at me quizzically.
“No, really. Watch.”
I point to the mounds of green.
Between the blades of grass at our toes
small buds push through the soil.
Opening to full bloom
the pale pink and purple iridescent blooms
open in a rippling wave
across the distant hills
bringing a smile to your face.
You turn to me
“Thank you for sharing this with me.”
“You are always welcome.”
I turn and watch you fade
taking the grass with you.
Looking down
I see a single iridescent bloom
alone in the white sand
where you sat
moments before
bringing a smile to wash away my sad.
© Michele Markley 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment