Friday, March 19, 2010

Barely Covered Misogyny

Is it so hard
for you to believe
that a woman could be right?

That a woman could have an original, intelligent idea?

What is it that leads you to belittle us this way?

You think that I can’t see
your barely covered misogyny?

Can you not see it inside yourself?

You wish for my respect?

You have already lost it
and now you will have to earn it.
Respect will come to you
when the women around you
are treated with regard
to their knowledge and their talents
instead of their gender.

I am not weak.
I am not stupid.
I have not wronged you.
I am a woman.
Call me a feminist,
if it makes you feel better,
but don’t call me a bitch for voicing my opinion,
standing by my beliefs.

If you feel threatened by my presence
the problem is with you.

© Michele Markley 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment