Friday, March 19, 2010

The Urge to Run

Every now and then the urge to run overwhelms.
I just want to pack up my car and drive
to the desert country of southern Utah.

It isn’t you that I run from,
it isn’t anyone.

It’s me,
life,
responsibilities,
work,
bills.

But running away would never allow me to escape,
because life follows us wherever we go,
so there is no point really.

It’s a silly idea anyway; I mean
who runs away to Utah?
Really.

I would probably change my mind
and turn back before I made it,
knowing that you would be the one hurt.
I would never wish to hurt you.

Maybe we can run away together someday,
just the two of us
just for a week or two
to camp out under the stars
in the middle of the desert
with flaming red arches
and snow capped mountains on the horizon.

© Michele Markley 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment