Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Cleansing Rains

Lying in the deep clover
sinking deeper
a bee skims my brow
a brief tickle
then travels on
to kiss the clover.

Sweet blooms
soaking in sunlight.

If I cannot run
then maybe I can stay,
absorb the goodness
of the faultless earth.

Lying completely motionless
praying for the earth to absorb me,
leach from me
my worries.

Time is lost.

The sun has fled
as the clouds stomp their way
across the pale sky
bellowing in anger
that I would presume
to become a part of this.

Pelting me with chips of ice.

Ripping the sky,
then conceding
the cleansing rains
soak the earth
my hair
my skin.

Absorbing every drop
until I feel my dead leaves fall away
my roots dig deep.

Letting go
of all of the worries
all of the pain.

Hope blooms on the sweet smell of clover
and I wonder if the rainbow
rising over the meadow is mine.

I rise
knowing I can reach it
if I only raise my hands to the sky
then don’t.

I don’t wish to steal such fleeting beauty
from any wandering eyes
that might witness its magic.

Enjoying one last glance
of rain drops and sunshine
I pull a twig
from the heavy lengths
of my rain soaked hair
and turn to home.

My only burden
my soggy shoes
in two fingers
by my side.

© Michele Markley 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment