Dark secrets torture my soul,
I struggle with the demon inside,
my sinful nature,
my desires,
tearing me apart.
Grabbing hold of my darkest secrets
I run into the shadows
holding them close,
savoring them,
then burying them deep
in the black soil,
I turn my back on these secrets
hoping no one will find them.
I turn to look once more
at the place I have hidden them to find
they have taken root
in the shadows
of the dark,
growing taller
than the surrounding trees.
I claw frantically at the base
of my secret
gnashing my teeth in frustration
to no avail,
a stone leaps into my hand
I hack at the trunk
of this secret that has grown massive.
My blood rushes through veins
fueled by panic
and I turn
to see you walking
the path.
I stand in front of my secret,
as if this would hide the braches
that have leapt out of the darkness.
To my horror
I realize that I have become transparent.
My darkest secret
is no secret at all.
You know.
You’ve always known.
For you can see inside of me
to that which I thought I had hidden.
I lay
with my face buried in the soil
knowing your judgment
has come
and nothing I am
is hidden from your eyes.
© Michele Markley 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment